Tomorrow I’m attending my first blogging conference in London. I’m excited, nervous, worried, looking forward to it but not wanting to go in equal measures! I’m looking forward to the actual conference and hopefully learning lots about the blogging world and how I can improve what I’m currently doing. I’m also dreading going because I don’t feel like a “proper” blogger. I will also only know one blogger there. There are obviously lots of people going who’s blogs I read and admire, but I find it really hard to make friends online, so I’m pretty sure no-one is going to know who I am. I’m so worried about meeting someone who I follow and have spoken to online and they turn around and say “sorry, I’ve never heard of you or your blog!” And that’s without worrying about talking to the brands that will be there! But I’m trying to get over my fear and be excited that I’m going to #BML17!
Am I Prepared?
I recently joined a very helpful Facebook group set up by the lovely Aly of Bug, Bird and Bee that has had lots of threads and live videos of what to expect and how to prepare for the conference. Something I hadn’t really thought about was getting business cards. Did I really need them? Perhaps no, I feel silly even having them! But then I’d feel even worse if someone magically happened to ask for one and I had to scribble my details on the back of a post-it note (or more likely, a stray receipt from my handbag!) I had a little search online and bought a set of 100 for £6 from Instaprint. They are brilliant quality for the price and I’d definitely buy from them again! Now I have them, I wish I’d included more information, but that’s a lesson learned for next time!
Here’s what else I’m taking:
- Blogging notebook and pen (for all the notes I’m going to be taking, and a place to keep all those business cards I’ll be collecting!)
- Power bank for my phone (my battery doesn’t last longer than about an hour once I’m on social media/taking photos, so this will give it a big boost!)
- Snacks (at 21 weeks pregnant, I’m pretty much constantly snacking, so I’ll need something to keep me going!)
What I’m Wearing
Lately, when I’m going to an event, I leave my outfit to the last minute – this is not good when you are pregnant and nothing fits or is suitable for said event!! I knew I would need something comfortable as it’s going to be a long day, and I expect there might be long periods of time that I’m going to be on my feet. But I also want to look nice! I want to look pregnant, but not fat! I was going to wear jeans, but I think being in a stuffy room I might get really hot, so I have decided on a comfy fitted dress with tights and my trusty winter boots (I do need to polish them first though, hence no photo…)
Planning the Sessions I’ll Attend
When I first looked at the sessions for the conference, I didn’t know what I was going to do. ALL the sessions looked great, and 99% of them would help me in some way to improve my blog. So it was hard to narrow them down. I decided pretty early on that I would be doing the Photography Deep Dive session, but this would take my whole afternoon and meant I missed some pretty cool sessions. But photography is something I really want to concentrate on so it was a must for me. Here’s what else I’ll be doing:
- Facebook for Bloggers – FB is my favourite social media platform, but I feel like I don’t use it very productively so I’d like to learn more about how to get the most out of the time I spend on there.
- Smash Your Goals with Focussed Blogging – I’m going to this to see Aby from You Baby Me Mummy speak, as I’ve been following her blog for ages now and she’s brilliant! I never seem to have the time to properly sit down and implement all the amazing tips she gives, so I’m hoping this session will focus me a bit more.
- Instagram and Instagram Stories – I should definitely use Instagram more than I do, so I’m looking forward to learning a bit more about how I can improve my Insta skills! Also so excited to hear Harriet from Toby and Roo speak, I have a bit of a blogger crush on her!
- Photography Deep Dive – I love taking photos, I’m just not very good at taking fancy ones. I’m a point and shoot and hope for the best kind of girl, so I hope to learn lots in this deep dive session. I’m not sure if I should take the really old camera I have that my dad gave me – I have no idea how to use it and I don’t know if it’s any better than just using my phone camera!
What I Hope To Get Out of My First Britmums Live!
First and foremost I hope to learn lots of tips to improve my blog and help me get more focussed. With another baby on the way, I’m either going to have heaps more time whilst I’m on maternity leave to focus on the blog, or a hell of a lot less time, so I want to do what I can now to prepare for that time. My main aim is learn about photography, with a bit of social media help thrown in as well.
I’d also like to meet some of the lovely bloggers I read so much of online and actually get up the courage to talk to them. I have a great friendship with Nicola from All Things Spliced, and am looking forward to meeting Bridget of Bridie By the Sea, Dawn from Rhyming with Wine and Annette from 3 Little Buttons. There are lots more amazing bloggers out there who I’m sure have no idea who I am but I’m hoping I can pluck up the courage to say hi!
I’d also quite like to make it through the day without having to take a nap – I have to leave the house at 6am to get the train which is earlier than I leave on a work day, so it’s going to be a struggle. Sadly I won’t make the BiBs Awards ceremony because I am going to be knackered but hopefully I’ll be back next year and ready to party!